Tuesday, March 4, 2008

WFMW-Great Music for Toddlers

This year Katherine received some music CD's for Christmas. From Grammy and Grandad she received "Bullfrogs and Butterflies". And from Nana and Pops she received "The Music Machine".
Both of these were personal favorites of mine when I was a child. I remember mom singing the Herbert the Snail song, "Have Patience" when we were not patient many times.

Until I listened to these as an adult, I did not realize how dated these CD's were. Now, I was a child of the 70's and had these as records. In fact, mom still has the records and we have no idea what to do with them in this day and age. The words and spiritual concepts are not dated but the music styles are very 70's. It is really funny. I still love them.

So, I am curious as to what music you like to listen to with your toddler/preschooler. We are interested in both Christian and fun secular CD's. Some of my other favorites are Sandra Boynton's "Philadelphia Chickens", Jack Johnson's Curious George Soundtrack and John Lithgow's "Singin' in the Bathtub".
This post is a part of Shannon's Works for Me Wednesday hosted at Rocks in My Dryer. Go over there to see what works for others and what they need advice on.

18 comments:

Kathy in WA said...

Great question! We love music around this house. Now that my children are getting older (sniff, sniff), they are more likely to listen to contemporary Christian music and eschew the kid music we all used to enjoy.

Thankfully I still have two little ones in the mix. They can be counted on to keep us in preschool music.

We love Seeds for Kids and the Hide 'Em in Your Heart cds by Steve Green. I wrote a post about it a while back.

Duckabush Blog Songs

Hope you get some other great responses!

Edi said...

I didn't realize Herbert the Snail was still around! Of course I remember that song - and have taught it to my kids! I need to look into that.

Ok in the secular realm I like (as do the kids) Beethoven's Wig (classical music w/funny lyrics)... and World's Very Best Opera For Kids - In English.

Also Classical Kids Series...they have classical music while telling a story.

My theory on music for kids - don't just give them the kiddie stuff all the time...give them some real opera and then the kid stuff. Give them some real "adult" classical music and then some of the kid's version.

Anonymous said...

We second the vote for Steve Green's Hide Em in Your Heart CD's. I also recently got a Big Fish CD (also Christian) and it's kind of fun...one of those that easy for parents to listen too. I know a lot of people who love Trout Fishing in the USA. I've only heard a few songs and we download from iTunes because some of the lyrics (in my humble opinion) are not very edifying...still, the songs are fun. We particularly like "My Hair Had a Party Last Night".

Heather said...

We have some area kids musicians that are great! They tour also, so you might see them in your area sometime. A google search will take you to their websites and I know Amazon sells at least some of their music. They are Jim Cosgrove aka Mr. Stinky Feet, Dino ODell, and Funky Mama. All are such fun for kids.

Another favorite is music by They Might Be Giants. They have a couple of kids albums--Here Come The ABCs is a favorite.

Britni said...

When I was younger, we used to listen to The Big Comfy Couch Soundtracks. They were catchy and very fun. But that was probably 12 years ago. Sorry I can't help for right now!

Nichole said...

My daughter loves "Here Come the ABCs" and They Might Be Giants' new kids album, "Here Come the 123s." We also like Elizabeth Mitchell and Justin Roberts.

Anonymous said...

This may sound funny... but what about the music you like? I was a music teacher/choral director before I had my daughter and I still teach some music lessons for toddlers on the side. I know that kids respond well to all kinds of music. We listen to country, folk, jazz, rock, christian, and of course classical. My daughter, who is 16 months, loves it all. I just make sure that everything has appropriate lyrics and topics.

When I was teaching, I used rap (again only the appropriate stuff) to teach rhythm concepts, and jazz is wonderful to teach about harmonies and instruments, since they have a lot of solos. World music is also great... anything that highlights different instruments, tempos, chord structures, and styles is good. We live in Italy, and used to live in France, so we try to bring in local music as well, so we can take her places and she'll recognize the music she hears.

Last, don't forget the best music of all... the music you make yourselves. Sing all day, whenever you can. There are songs about waking up, bedtime, bathtime, food, outdoor activities, play, God... pretty much anything you want to do. You can add rice to a dried out water bottle, glue to the lid back on and you have a shaker. Use an upside down bowl for a drum. Make up silly or personal words to a simple song like Twinkle, Twinkle. Kids love to sing and dance, as well as listen to music.

Niki Jolene said...

We love The Laurie Berkner Band at our house!

Holly Ramsey said...

It goes "whir whir chicka chicka bonk bong toot!" I would LOVE to hear that again! Bree is not into listening to music at home right now so I don't have any good suggestions. She gets really upset when I turn kids music on - funny.

ohAmanda said...

I have some of the old skool Christian stuff, too--Psalty, Donut Man, etc. My daughter loves it!

I really like Dan Zanes (even tho' I think he's weird in real life). Veggie Tales is always a hit.

Loud N Clear and RockNHappy Heart by YancyNotNancy.com is one of our faves.

Tonya said...

We love Jim Gill he has at least 4 CD and they are interactive so you can dance along with your child. I like it because they promote listening so that you can follow along and rhythm. His website is www.jimgill.com We also love any Veggie Tales CD's.

Stephanie said...

My 14 month old and I absolutely LOVE Raffi's "Baby Beluga" CD. He's got a great folksy sound and it's easy for adults to listen to also. You can even get a board book to go with it. My son dances happily everytime we turn it on. I hope to purchase another of Raffi's CD's soon.

Amy said...

We love the Seeds Family Worship cds (series of 4). Fun, contemporary tunes with Scripture as lyrics, so you're memorizing the Bible at the same time!

Amy said...

Many people have told me that stuff by Ms. Patty Cake is good. I haven't gotten any for JG yet though.

Sheila said...

Veggie Tales CDs - they have a pirate one (more like sea songs), a campfire one, a bluegrass one and many more.

Cedarmont Kids - we love their CDs. You can find them at Christian bookstores.

Raffi - More Singable Songs, Singable Songs, Corner Grocery Store.

Putamayo - singalong songs.

Dan Zanes is fun and so is Laurie Berkner.

another vote for Steve Green's Hide 'em in your heart.

Chrys and Mike said...

Love the first two - I grew up on them and now it's fun to hear my oldest singing "Have Patience".

We love Steve Green, Cedarmont Kids, Ralph's World and Hermie Scripture Memory CDs. I'm going to check out the Seeds songs.

Chrys

Chrys and Mike said...

OH- and They Might Be Giants. That is O's current fav on my iPod. You can download some for free on iTunes.

Chrys

Tara said...

For a different sound, I love Harry Connick Jr's CD: "Songs I Heard". It came out a few years ago (for his girls) and I love the jazzy take on the old favorites.