Tuesday, March 18, 2008

I need a redo!

Can today please start over from the beginning? It has been a not so good, horrible, very bad day (I don't remember exactly how Shel Silversteen's poem went).

It started when Katherine woke up at 7 not with her usual "mommy, daddy, up" but with a weird whiny cry that I just knew meant that she was very wet and not happy about it. Sure enough, her training underwear and PJ's were soaked. I was expecting that. By 8:30 we had two more accidents. The first was just wet and the second was both wet and dirty. Luckily both were on the kitchen floor which is so easy to clean. As a bonus, mom's maid was at my house today (since they are remodeling) so not only did it get wiped up but the floor was properly mopped within an hour as well.

Not all of my desire for a redo has to do with potty training though. I had invited friends over for a playgroup Easter Egg Hunt. Only one person was able to come and then they called to cancel today because in a stroke of luck for their family her husband was off today and able to spend time with the family. So, I was now on my own for the morning. I had a midwife appointment scheduled at 2. I had just firmed up my plans to leave Katherine at a friends house when the midwife's office called to see if I could come in at 11:15 or reschedule for another day. I took the 11:15 appointment but that meant Meg could not watch Katherine because she had her own OB appointment this morning. I decided to just take Katherine since she did well last time.

This is where it went from a blah day to a horrible day. It was raining pretty hard so we got wet going in. The midwife was running behind. Katherine did OK but was getting pretty restless in the waiting room after being there half an hour. By the time we had been there an hour, she was done with it. She had one accident which luckily did not leak out of her training pants and she was hungry. Finally, the nurse said that there were still two people ahead of me and would I prefer to reschedule. I chose to do that because it would be at least 30 more minutes and Katherine would not have made it. When we left it was pouring even harder and there was a river flowing through the parking lot so I was soaked from the waist down.

We get home and I lost it. I was an emotional wreck and crying. Katherine was so sweet and empathetic. She kept saying, "mommy crying, mommy very sad, I sorry". She gave me hugs and kisses. Her training pants were wet but she did pee in the potty. We ate a good lunch and she went down for a nap. But not without peeing in her panties while 12 inches from her potty.

I think we are in a consciously rebellious phase with the potty training. At the doctor's office she found her changing pad that I was using for her to sit on to protect the couch. She proceeded to pull off her pants so I could put on a diaper (which I did not have). then at home she searched through her dresser for her diapers. Luckily I had put them all away. It is so tempting though. I will not give in! I expected to have accidents. It is a part of the learning process. Today she commented that it was icky. That has to be part of what motivates her to stay dry.

So, from 7am to 1 pm the tally is:
use the bathroom successfully - 2 times
have an accident - 6 times
I can't think of the last time when went to the bathroom 8 times in 6 hours.

4 comments:

MacFadyen Clan said...

you're doing great! keep it up!! we had pretty much the same tally today. from 8 am to 2 pm: 4 accidents and 2 successes. it's not fun but i think that the successes will outweigh the accidents tomorrow!

Chrys and Mike said...

sorry you had such a rough day. i hope you get some rest.

chrys

Jaime and Will said...

she's so sweet to give you hugs!

Rich and Jen said...

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, by Judith Viorst. Sounds like you had exactly that kind of day. I know I was miserable just trying to get Evie in and out of the grocery store on that very wet day (I kept waiting for rain to stop but it never did!). I'm sorry you had a tough time! Sounds like you are doing a great job though!! Go, Katherine! (umm, as long as it's in the potty) ;o)