Tuesday, March 4, 2008

My political day

Well, as an update to my post this morning, I decided to vote for the candidate I actually wanted to win as President. I voted in my party primary. Then this evening, as a result of the curiosity I had from Mitch's comments, I went to my precinct caucus.

When telling Sam about it, I told him that part of me felt like a very empowered citizen and part of me feel like I wasted an evening and it was pointless. Here is what I observed. First of all, only 10 people from my precinct showed up. I am not sure how many are in the precinct but 150 voted today. That does not include early voters. I was the youngest person caucusing by at least 10 years. It bugged me that the person runing the meeting really was inefficient about it. I don't think he had read the procedures or agenda before the meeting started. That kind of thing is very annoying.

We nominated delegates to the Senate district convention later this month. Our precinct is allowed 15 delegates so we all were automatically delegates. I am not sure if I will actually attend but I might.

We then opened the floor for resolutions. One lady brought 2 resolutions. That was interesting. One was basically to keep the 2006 GOP manual the same. I thought it was a little pointless but I am pretty clueless about politics. The other was concerning the Trans Texas Corridor and the North American Union. She basically wanted to propose that the candidates and elected officials make their platform on these issues be known and that before those issues proceed they be taken to the voters. I agreed with that but for some reason we spent about 30 minutes discussing the larger isues which we were not voting on.

So, that is the outcome of my day in politics. It was interesting. Thaks for your comments this morning.

3 comments:

Holly Ramsey said...

My dad made my sister and I attend a caucus with him when we were in grade school for educational purposes. Very very boring for a grade school kid!!!!! Needless to say, I have not attended another.

Jaime and Will said...

Cool, babe. That's neat that you did that. You can't claim to "not be political" anymore - you caucus goer!

Chrys and Mike said...

Way to caucus!

Chrys