Thanks to Erin for this great Easter Activity. Making these cookies illustrates the story of Easter in a fun and creative way for kids. I won't say that Katherine totally grasped the meaning of Easter through this exercise but she was surprisingly attentive both to the cooking and to the reading of scripture. I will include the recipe here but if you want me to email you a cleaned up original copy for future, let me know.
Easter Story Cookies
*to be made the evening before Easter
*to be made the evening before Easter
- 1 cup whole pecans
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 3 egg whites
- 3 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- zipper baggie
- wooden spoon
- wooden spoon
- tape
- Bible
Preheat oven to 300 degrees (this is important – don’t wait until you’re halfway done with the recipe!)
Place pecans in baggie and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Explain that after Jesus was arrested He was beaten by the Roman soldiers. Read John 19:1-3
- Bible
Preheat oven to 300 degrees (this is important – don’t wait until you’re halfway done with the recipe!)
Place pecans in baggie and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Explain that after Jesus was arrested He was beaten by the Roman soldiers. Read John 19:1-3
Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp into mixing bowl. Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross, He was given vinegar to drink. Read John 19:28-30
Read Matt. 27:57-60
3 comments:
I definitely want to do this with Ethan when he gets a little older. Great idea! I'd love a clean copy of the recipe when you have the time.
I'm so glad you made them! Andrew seemed to enjoy it, too. Ours didn't get as hollow either, and I agree that the oven should have probably been hotter. Yea!
We also tried--same problem. I thought maybe since our oven is gas it cooled off too fast, but I also think it should have been hotter to begin with.
Post a Comment