Katherine, you sure have some definite preferences on what you wear some days. Usually I start off by giving you a choice of dress or pants. You choose and then I offer two outfits for you to choose from. Usually it works well. Most days I honestly could care less what you wear and it is not a battle I want to fight. If you want to wear a blue shirt, fine. If you want to wear a pink one, that is fine too.
Well one Sunday I had you dressed for church in a light pink and white skirt, white shirt, tights and pink dress shoes. After church we were having portraits made and you were going to change the skirt for a dress but I planned to keep you in the same tights and shoes. Well, on your own you went to your closet, took off your shoes, put them away and put on your hot pink crocs. Needless to say, they did not go well with the outfit. I asked a few times if you wanted to put your other pink shoes back on and you repeatedly said, "no, these". I decided to let you go to church with your hot pink crocs and your light pink outfit and deal with the shoes for pictures. It all worked out OK and I sure wish I had taken a picture of the ensemble.
Today I let you choose your shoes. You choose the boots. Not my first choice, but it was OK.
The day that it snowed you insisted on wearing your rain boots all day long. At least I chose an outfit that they did not clash with but they are too big and kept falling off.
I love the independence. I really have decided that most of the time letting you choose what you wear is perfectly fine. So what if it does not match perfectly. There are so many other battles that I need to fight with you. Wardrobe choices are not that important. It was funny because at church today I saw another mommy and we laughed about this very thing. Her 5 year old was wearing a black and orange dress with pumpkins on it with red shoes - in March.
1 comment:
I'm glad we live near Boulder. No fashion police here! :)
Post a Comment