Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Much improved day

Today was a complete 180 from yesterday. Thank goodness. I was really nervous because we left the house at 9 and returned at 3. Yikes, how do I do that while potty training? (For those of you not interested in the details of my day, stop reading now. For those of you in the potty training world, rejoice with me!) And, I promise my next post tomorrow will not be about potty training.

I was determined not to use pull ups and to keep Katherine in "real" underwear all day even though we were going to be on the go. We were successful. We started out at Lynette and Caedmon's house for a short playdate with them and Julie and Dani. Katherine was dry by the time we drove 45 minutes to get to their house and she used Caedmon's toddler potty twice. Then we went to the chiropractor (the reason for our cross town travels for the day). Katherine remained dry and attempted to use the potty once. Then we went to visit Katherine's cousins who also live on that side of town. Shannon bought me a sit and stand stroller at a consignment sale last weekend so I wanted to pick it up. Katherine was still dry when we got there and used their potty once. Our one accident of the day was when the kids were in the backyard playing. Katherine said, "uh-oh poopoo" and I thought "great, I have to change poopy panties." Luckily she had just gone #1 and was about to go #2 so we made it on time! We drove home and she was dry at the end of over an hour in the car. Dry after nap, dry after dinner at the mall and dry when we got home! An excellent day in the potty training realm.

The only change I made was each time she was dry and each time she had a success, we not only put a sticker on the chart but I gave her a cookie. In reality, the cookies were organic animal crackers and in all she ate less than one snack pack. If it motivates her to hold it until she is in the right place then I am all for a little snack motivation.

2 comments:

Holly Ramsey said...

Snack motivators - my mom gave me a red hot candy each time I went (is that a choking hazard?). And my sister would get one too if she could convince me to go (snacks + peer pressure = success). Sounds like you guys are on the right track!

Misty said...

So glad today was better. I think cookies are a fine reward for any age :)