Monday, March 17, 2008

PT Day 1 update

Well, today was our first day of panties, no diapers. They are all hidden. There were no protests at all this morning when I told Katherine that there were no more diapers but only panties. I showed her the sticker chart and explained that every time she went on her potty she would put a sticker on the chart and every time I checked and her panties were dry she would get to put a sticker on the chart.

A new sticker because I am dry!

I set a timer for every 30-40 minutes and when the bell went off we would check that her panties were dry and then she would run to the bathroom to put her sticker on the chart. Her first time to use the potty was not until 11:30. I was starting to get worried that we were going to have a HUGE accident. After her first success, we went outside to play. We took her potty out there with us. She immediately sat on it outside and did nothing. 5 minutes later she went to it again but had already pooped in her panties. Bummer! We cleaned up and talked about it. Outside she was more into the potty and she went to it about 5 times just to practice.

We are rarely home for the entire day so that was different for us. I tried to make sure we stayed busy. We watched TV (the mattress pad to protect the furniture). We played with play-doh, played outside and made chocolate chip cookies.



For nap I told her that she was not going to put on a diaper and so she needed to stay dry. I did put a pair of plastic pants on over her panties. She stayed dry! Our time between nap and dinner was not as successful because we took some time to make chocolate chip cookies together and that distracted her. We also had a contractor come over so I was not as attentive. So, she had two accidents. It was not as bad as I thought it would be. I was imagining floods of pee on my furniture or carpet. It was all contained in her panties so there was not really a mess at all.


Overall a pretty good day. The accidents were expected and really they are a part of the process and motivation. She has to know what it feels like to be gross in order to be motivated to stay clean and dry.

3 comments:

MacFadyen Clan said...

sounds like our day. good luck tomorrow! oh, i wanted to tell you one tip i got was to give quade lots of juice during the day, so he would need to pee. what toddler doesn't love juice?!

Amy said...

I can't wait to hear all about it! I have been researching the 1 and 3 day potty training stuff for Evan as he is starting to get it. I almost did it this week but I think I am going to wait for May 19th when school is out and he is a few months olds. I have read he is on the beginning end of a perfect age so we are on the path.
On that note, where do you get the plastic underwear?
I am sure it will continue to go great!!

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

Our training underwear stash includes 3 pairs of the Gerber training pants, 3 pairs of Hannah Anderson training pants and about 15 pairs of normal panties. The training pants are the ones that have the extra layer of fabric in the crotch. I then have 2 pairs of Gerber plastic pants which have a cotton layer too so they could be the only thing that they wear. A friend gave them to me. The nicest thing I have are trainers that are made by a cloth diaper company. I have 4 pairs of Bummis trainers and 1 MOE tinkle free trainer which snaps on the side. (I bought both online) So far I have used the trainers over training panties at nap, night or our one outing to waterproof the accidents. At home we just use the panties or training pants. On day 2 I can't say I have a perfect system yet but that is what we are using.