Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Park and Zoo(logical Museum)

Last week it was rainy. I hated it. Monday we stayed in all day and got cabin fever so Tuesday we decided to leave regardless of the weather. Katherine and I headed out for the botanical garden. The signage out of the subway was not that great so I thought I was in the right place but I was actually just at a park across the street.
Katherine really enjoyed climbing up the hill and running down it again. When we were eating our picnic it was quite hard to keep her from running away. The grass was still wet from the rain so by the time we were done her feet and pant legs were pretty wet.
Katherine somewhere learned that when your picture is getting taken you say "cheese". Neither Sam nor I remember doing this but maybe we have. It is a funny expression. Sometimes she cocks her head back and give a funny grin.
Once I finally figured out where the botanical garden really was, it was raining too hard to enjoy it. But, in the garden there are several museums. We went to the Zoological Museum. What this means is that there are stuffed, formerly alive animals in pretty scenes. I was not so sure about it at first but Katherine really liked it. It was actually much easier for her to see the animals because they were close and not moving.

You can barely tell but she is doing the sign for "monkey"

"Walrus" is a new word that Nana taught her last week so she was excited to see one.
Birds!


I think that we will be going back to the Zoological Museum on future rainy days. It was a hit. Included in the price of the ticket is admission to the geological museum and the paleontogy museum. They were both pretty boring. A bunch of rocks and a few fossils. This coming from a former science teacher too. None of it was in English except for a small plaque that I found that explained that the museum was opened in 1920 and with the exception of a few updates in teh 1950's it remains the same. No wonder I was bored.


1 comment:

Erin said...

Well I applaud you for even getting out in the rain. Its raining at our house today and I don't even want to attempt going anywhere! But in an apartment half the size your used to, I can imagine its a necessity to go outdoors. I just keep feeling so happy when I read about the things y'all are doing and see the pictures you're taking. Its just such a neat experience!