As you can see in the photo, our first stop was actually a playground. The playgrounds in Helsinki are not too different from the playgrounds in Oslo. It was cold - below freezing - so I think that was making Katherine grumpy. Luckily this playground was at the base of the first site we were going to see so Sam played with Katherine on the playground while I went in and then we switched. It worked well and we did this arrangement at 3 different churches all before lunch. Thank goodness for playgrounds.
Since Helsinki had been ruled by Russia for awhile, I was hoping that there would be more Russian influence, but with the exception of this church it felt pretty much like Oslo.
We went in Stockmans which is the largest department store in Europe. We normally don't shop too much while in other countries but we actually went in thinking we might buy some long underwear since it was so cold. It was so expensive that we decided to deal with the cold. While there we saw some interesting pairs of Crocs. I have never owned a pair though many swear by them. I always thought of them as summer shoes, kind of like flip flops. But in Finland they sell Croc boots and Crocs that are lined with warm fuzzy fur. We thought it was pretty funny.
The Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art was open late so we went there when everything else was closed. I was actually surprised by how much I liked it. Honestly, I get kind of sick of museums that all look the same. The building itself was very interesting architecturally. There were lots of interesting curves and lighting.
The exhibits were also interesting. In the one below an artist collected water samples from different places along the Seine River in France. She made slides of them and then did watercolors of what she saw. She noted the changing pollution as she moved down the river. The beer bottles in front of the paintings were all made from water from the Seine River and all of their labels have pictures or sketches of the river.
Another exhibit that I did not get any pictures of was photos of and drawings by trees in the wind. In the set of photos a light was attached to a limb and then a camera shot a picture at a very slow shutter speed so you had a trail of light that showed what the wind did. In the paintings the artist attached a pencil to the tree limb and then held the paper so that the wind "drew" on the paper. It was so interesting and creative. A different kind of art. Not really what I would hang on my wall but very creative.
In the next picture it looks like there is some construction. That was actually another art exhibit. It was called social art. A guy walked into a busy sidewalk with the metal box and took out the cones, tape and chair and sat there reading the paper noting people's reaction. Weird.
This last one was interesting. It is a globe with the outline of the continents being raised. The globe rotated and as it did, the raised outline plucked metal pieces similar to that in a music box. It did not really play a tune but again, an interesting piece.
As I said, it was very cold on Saturday. I am not sure the exact temperature but it was below freezing. We were bundled up. Katherine had on tights, pants and a snowsuit on the bottom, long underwear, turtleneck, sweater and a heavy coat on top. Poor thing reminded us of the kid in A Christmas Story when she would walk and fall over, unable to get back up.
Of course we also played on a playground and even ran into a man from our hometown whose kids attend the school where I graduated. He has been in Helsinki for 18 months on business. What a small world. He took us to his favorite coffee shop to kill an hour before it was time to head back to the airport.
5 comments:
Looks like a great trip! I particularly liked reading about some of the creative exhibits in the art museum. Thanks for describing them.
The pic of K in the stroller is hilarious. So cute.
Chrys
I never cared for Crocs too much, but my sister-in-law bought me a black pair with the fur liner and they are the BEST things I have ever put on my feet!!! Did you try them on when you saw them? They are really comfortable and SOOOO warm!!!! By any chance, have you remembered to pick up any coins? If not, that is okay.. That is funny about running into someone who graduated from our school...
I loved the museum pics.
Oh brrrrrr...it looks so cold! I LOVE the inside of the Temppeliaukio Church! Would love to see that in person or attend a service.
That museum looked cool. I would've liked to have seen it with ya'll. It also seems cold out there - that means it's almost time to come home!!
Post a Comment