Saturday, October 27, 2007

Friends

I consider myself an outgoing, social person who is fairly easy to get to know. Still, for some reason, the idea of moving to a new place where I knew no one was a bit intimidating for me. I knew that no one in Oslo would be looking out for me or concerned about my social life.

I have been frustrated at times. I would meet a cool mom at the playground or open kindergarten and exchange email and phone numbers but then I would never hear from her and if I called her it seemed we could not connect. I went to an international playgroup and met some cool moms that I enjoy talking to but we don't ever get together outside of the playgroup time. I expressed my frustration about this to someone at an American Women's Club meeting and she honestly told me that in the expatriate community if you are not going to be around for two years you are often not worth the time to get to know because they are tired of having people come and go in their life. So, as someone here for only three months, I was not worth their time. When I met people who were here for a few years they would almost downplay the time I was here. When I would say, "three months" they would comment that it was just a vacation. As our time draws near to the end, I realize that three months really is not that long, but yet, it can get lonely and you do need friends.

I do not have as many friends here as I do back home but I have really enjoyed the friends whom I have made. It has been fun because I have met a lot of people who are not exactly like me. Back home, most of my friends have very similar stories and lives. Here, there is more diversity. It is fun. I have friends who are older, friends who are younger, friends who are Norwegian, friends who are American, friends who are Australian. Some share my views on family, child raising, religion and politics and others are very different in these areas.

I have really appreciated those who have welcomed me and reached out to me. I have been shown areas of the city I would not have discovered on my own. I have been shown incredible generosity. All I have to do is mention something that I miss from home or wish I had and someone offers to let me borrow theirs. We have borrowed a stroller, crib, winter clothing, kitchen items, an air mattress, tools, etc. It has taught me a lot about generosity. I need to make sure I am that generous with my things when I go home.
  • Hilde, Mark and Nikolas - Thank you for reaching out to me before we even met by offering to let me use Lona's crib. I have so enjoyed getting to know you as you have shown me Norwegian culture and many areas of Oslo. Katherine loves Nikolas and we will miss our weekly times with you.
  • Sarah and Aiden - I love that we call one another to do things last minute. We are the same in that regard. I love that we can discuss our differences without offending each other. It has been fun to see Katherine and Aiden interact and have so much fun together.
  • Patrick, Karen, Colin and Vivien - I sure wish we could have hung out more. We all really clicked as we are in Norway working for the same company. We look forward to hanging out with you back at home.
  • Donna, Stew, Sophie and Isabel - I sure wish we had met you earlier in our trip. We sure enjoyed dinner together. It is fun to have a couple where the men can hang, the women can hang and we can all hang together. I love hearing all of your funny Australian sayings too.
  • Luckey and Christa - You all have been so incredible. You truly have shown the love of Christ to us. We had been here less than 48 hours when you picked us up for church and then had us over for dinner. you have been so helpful in helping us to get acclimated to Oslo and we have really enjoyed our time and our conversations together.
  • John and Anne Grethe - I wish we had been in town at the same time more often but we are both sure on the go. It is fun to be with a fellow Texas. You sure can cook a mean elk stew.
  • Cally - What a great babysitter! Thanks for loving on Katherine.

1 comment:

Rich and Jen said...

I think you are extremely generous with your "things!" Thanks, Christy! :o)