Monday, October 15, 2007

I am not a fan of Mondays

Who really likes Mondays? Not really anyone I know. For most it marks the end of a weekend and the beginning of a work week and who wouldn't rather be off work than at work? Even though I do not work outside the home (I can't say I don't work, taking care of Katherine is a lot of work!) I still dread Monday because Sam returns to work. We have been having so much fun as a family on the weekend.

For some reason it seems that the last few Mondays the weather has not been great in Oslo. Usually Katherine and I like to spend time at a park each day. When it is raining, we try to find something indoors. Last night I was looking online to try to plan our day because it was forecasted to rain off an on. I got so frustrated because of the 50+ museums and sites in Oslo, the only ones open on Monday that I had not already seen were the Kon Tiki Museum (another ship) and the Design and Architecture Museum. These were not at the top of my list. Even hoppaloppaland (kids play area) was closed on Monday.

So, I had a plan for the day. First we went to visit a music school that I was told had kids classes like Kindermusik - no luck, they only let you sign up for 1/2 year. Then since it was not raining yet, Katherine played a little at the park by the music school. Then we got on the tram (not easy to go up 4 steps with a stroller) ad went to the Design and Architecture Museum. It was in an old electric station that had been redesigned. The exhibit was very small and not that interesting. It was right by the river though so we walked around for a bit. It was not really that pretty because there was graffiti. There was a huge organic grocery store and restaurant so I thought we would grab lunch and a few groceries. Uh-Oh - I have no wallet. I had taken it out of my purse to take some money out to hide (we get a lot from the cash machine but don't like to carry it all). I forgot to put it back in my purse. This means I have no money at all, and no transportation pass so I prayed we would not get checked. I have not been checked yet but I knew today would be the day.
I had thought I would wander around the shopping mall near the wharf but without a wallet, what is the point? So, we headed back home. When I got to our building I realized that my walled also contained the key card to get into our apartment building. Urgh. I called the one person in our building that I knew and they were not home. I pressed a few random buttons and no one answered. Finally I went to the kitchen shop that is in our building and asked them to let me in through their storage room that connects to our basement.
So, it has been a boring day full of frustrations. We are home now. After Katherine's nap we may go to the park because I see the sun. Then we will head to the grocery store - with a wallet.

So, for those of you in the US who are just waking up to Monday, I hope you have a better day than I did.

1 comment:

Erin said...

It was a very rainy Monday here, too. We didn't even venture out of the house! I'm just glad you were able to get back into your apartment. Sorry you had a bad day!