Thursday, October 25, 2007

Nanas

You would think that when Katherine says "Nanas" it would referring to her Nana. No, Nana is pronounced "lalala". "Nanas" is actually how Katherine pronounces the name of her buddy Nikolas here in Norway. That is the funny thing about kids and language development (correct me if I am wrong Heather and Amy). It seems that she has the ability to say certain sounds but there is something about the way she hears things and says things that often is not consistent.

Anyway, Katherine loves Nikolas. It amazes me the things she remembers. The other day I mentioned to Sam when we sat Katherine in a restaurant high chair that is different than what we are used to that it was the kind she sits in at Nikolas' house. Katherine heard me mention Nikolas and started to say "Nanas" and do the sign for "cat". Nikolas has a cat. She hear me say his name and made those connections.
Today I went to a playgroup at my friend Donna's house. To get there we took a bus and happened to get off at the same stop that we get off for Nikolas' house. When we got off the bus, Katherine said, "Nanas" I was so amazed. To me, most of the city looks very much the same. We have only been to Nikolas' house 3 times but there was something at that bus stop that alerted her to the fact that we were in his area.
Since we were in the area, I have Hilde a call and after my playgroup we met at the river to feed the ducks. Katherine was happy to get to play with Nanas.

1 comment:

Stacemoe said...

I thought you were going to say that "Nanas" was what she said for Bananas. It is funny the things they come up with for certain words. Caitlin always called her special blanket her "CeeCee" Okay...that totally doesn't sound anything like Blanket!!! Now at almost 11, she still calls it her CeeCee....