Saturday, October 6, 2007

I am thankful

You know I have realized that I have been a bit of a grump lately and have complained about a lot. I have had a few posts where I have focused on things that I do not like about Norway or things I miss about home. You know, that is not a complete picture. I am actually having a great time and while there are some things that frustrate me, there are also a lot of things for which I am very thankful.


  • Most importantly, Katherine and I were able to join Sam on this business trip. Usually spouses and kids don't get to come along on 3 month trips.

  • This trip came at a really good time for our family. We just sold the rent house and were out from that responsability. We don't have a newborn. We aren't pregnant. Christy has a job that she can take with her (mom) rather than having to decide if she should quit a job.

  • We have great friends that are staying in our house and taking care of our dog. It was perfect timing and we don't know what we would have done if they had not been able to stay there.

  • We will be home for the holidays.

  • Katherine is at a great age for this kind of adventure. She is old enough to have fun yet young enough that I can still carry her in a stroller or backpack. She may not remember it but she is having fun.

  • Katherine is a great excuse for me to get out of the house and meet people. I don't know where I would have met people if not at the playground.

  • While I do not have a lot of friends (compared to at home), I do have friends and I really like them.

  • Hilde has been a great tour guide for some areas that I might not have found on my own and she has helped me to have a Norwegian connection and learn things I would not have known if all of my friends were Americans.

  • We are in an apartment and not a hotel. This means we have a kitchen and seperate rooms as well as a washer and dryer. This was essential with a toddler.

  • We found a great church before we even left home. They teach the Word and have been a great encouragement.

  • The people we have met have been so giving - of their time and their stuff. I have had several people show me around so that I knew where to shop, go to the library, where the best kids places are etc. We have also had people let us have or borrow so many things - stroller, toys, warm clothes, rain boots, air mattresses and sheets for visitors, kitchen items. It has been a huge help.

  • We have been able to travel while here. We have been to Copenhagen, the mountains and the fjords and we have trips to Stockholm and Helsinki booked.

  • We went on a trip halfway across the world at a time in history where communication is easy. I can email, webcam, call on VOIP and blog at any time so I feel connected to those at home and hopefully they still feel connected to me.

  • Almost all Norwegians speak English so there has been no problem with daily activities and business and it has also allowed us to make friends.

  • Norway is very child friendly and very supportive of breastfeeding. This is a good thing since I am still nursing Katherine and was starting to feel a bit the freak of nature back home. Here I am so normal.

  • Being away from our daily grind has helped us to consider our priorities, commitments and way of life. Not sure how that will change things when we return but we are thinking...

So, yes, it is hard at times. But you know what? We will be going home before we know it. I want to make sure that we take advantage of every opportunity and enjoy every day. I may not ever be here again.

2 comments:

The Fanks said...

Good job, Christy.

Qtpies7 said...

What a great opportunity! We lived in Germany for 6 years, it was great!

Thanks for entering my book give-away. I know you'd love it, Tracey is an amazing mother, she is definately doing something right. Her kids are terrific.