Thursday, August 7, 2008

7+ hours

Caroline fell asleep at about 3 today while I was at the computer. At about 3:30 I put her down on our bed and I stayed in the bedroom working. It is currently 10pm and she is still asleep in the same place. Because I put her on her tummy, one of us has been in the bedroom or checking in frequently all night. She sleeps better on her tummy but current recommendations are "back to sleep, tummy to play" due to SIDS. I know that we were all raised on our tummies and are just fine. So is an almost 3 week old supposed to sleep for 7 hour stretches? I am not complaining though I sure with it was from midnight - 7 am rather than 3-10 pm. Who knows what the rest of the night will be like.

4 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

i know it's controversial (and i never would have done it w/ my first baby) but t started sleeping on his tummy when he was two weeks old. he wouldn't sleep unless he was on his tummy. we found out later that he had silent reflux and that sleeping swaddled on his back was very painful for him.

i'm convinced that's why he started crawling at 4 months. he has the strongest core muscles!

hope you get some more good stretches tonight! maybe she's just a super sleeper!

chrys

Laura said...

Sweet, is all I can say. Ethan would never have made it through colic w/o sleeping on his tummy. You are checking on her, I'd keep at it.

I pretty much always go by the rule of "never wake a sleeping baby". hope the night is not too rough.

alyelli said...

Caroline seems to be such a great sleeper whenever she sleeps. What a blessing. I hope her pattern continues day and night.

Tara said...

My aunt was the one that finally got Amelia to sleep for longer stretches...and it was on her tummy at about 3 months. Up until then, it was 30-45 min tops during the day. She was very reassuring in telling me that she checked on her constantly.

After that point, I was sold on using the Angelcare Motion and Sound monitor and tummy sleeping, at least for naps.

7 hours!