Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cousins

Every other week I drive across town (45 minutes each way) to go to my awesome chiropractor. This commitment pretty much is our only activity for the day because by the time we drive there, see her and come back it is well over 2 hours. There are two things that make the drive across town better for Katherine. We get to either play with her friend Caedmon who lives in the neighborhood or we get to play with her cousins who also live close by. Today was a lucky day and we played with Caedmon for a short time before out appointment with Dr. Cindy and afterwards we met Shannon and the kids at the park for a picnic.

Emily is 7. Katherine adores Emily. Little girls are funny. Hannah is only 6 months younger than Katherine but yet Katherine just gravitates toward Emily. Really she just loves big girls. I think part of it is that a 7 year old knows how to play and lead a toddler around whereas another toddler is pretty self absorbed and does not yet know how to play with another toddler. You can see that Emily is not only a great cousin but a great big sister leading the little girls to the playground.
The kids started off playing in the trees while the moms finished eating. Katherine's look of concern was for Nathan. He was not having his best day today due to being tired (and being a 4 year old boy too I am sure).
Hannah is one of the happiest toddlers I know. She has the biggest smile. She is also one of the most physical and adventurous toddlers I know. One time we walked into the kitchen and she had brought the chair to the sink to wash her hands. I think she was about 14 months. There are endless stories of her climbing on top of everything. I can't wait until she and Katherine are a bit older and actually figure out how to play together. They will have so much fun.
Guess who took off their shoes? Emily did first and like I said, Katherine adores Emily so she took off her shoes too. For the first time in about a month Katherine actually let me do something with her hair. It has been so shaggy lately. The funny thing is that I thought it looked so cute when we left the house. Looking at the pictures I laugh at how her ponytails stick out and her bows are so huge. What do you all think?

One interesting experience at the park was when Katherine announced that she had to go potty. Hmmmm. What do I do with this? There are port - a - potties but I am sure that they are disgusting and not toddler friendly. Do I tell her to pee in her panties when I am working so hard to have her accident free. Plus I had not more covers for her to wear on the ride home. Then she said, "mommy, pee pee on grass?" Well, OK. So, I took my little girl behind a tree to help her pee pee on the grass and not everything else. Parents of potty trained kids, what do you do in these kind of situations? I see this being a problem for a few years until holding it means longer than 30 seconds.

5 comments:

Hilde said...

Katherine looks adorable! The big mouse plaits (that's what we call them!) and red ribbons are so funny and cute.

We don't have a potty trained toddler in the house at the moment, but the ones we have had previously have peed on grass, stones, sand, and snow, behind a bush or a rock!

Jaime and Will said...

I like the big pigtails. I also like her peeing on the grass. Her uncle is so proud!

Stacemoe said...

As you know, we spend about 3 hours a day in the car...when Caitlin was 19 months old, she decided she wanted to wear "Big girl Panties" and has been potty trained since then...At first I was concerned how this was going to work with the amount of time we spend in the car. If she had to go tinkle, we would just pull over wherever we were and she would go on the side of the road or in the grass. I would pull her panties to her ankles and have her stand in front of me, facing outward, put my arms under her armpits, scoop her up and grab her ankles with my hands, so she was suspended in the air with her booty in the air, so that way it would not get on her legs or panties...anyway, kinda hare to expain, I don't know if you know what I am trying to say....but if she had to go poopy, we would obviously run into a fast food resturant...sad to say, that due to the amount of time we are on the road, my child has gone to the bathroom in more public places than private...

Amy said...

we have friends who keep a small potty in the back of their car and "bags" of some sort to cover the plastic part. It's not ideal but seems to work to me. So if they need to go they can actually sit in the back of the car or on the ground but on a potty. Then pull up the plastic bag, tie and toss. It may be easier to go in the grass.

Amy said...

btw, I grew up just going on the side of the road covered by a bush or car doors. We traveled with toilet paper on all trips. :)