I just filed my taxes 2 minutes ago - on April 11th. I guess it is not as bad as going downtown to the 24 hour post office on midnight of the 15th or filing an extension but it is pretty last minute. We are getting a pretty fat return which is fun but not wise. I hate giving the gov't an interest free loan for the year. My dad is a financial planner, I know better. I do not know how TI calculated Sam's taxes so off. All of my jobs (small as they are) did not hold out taxes at all. Maybe we had more deductions than we realized. I would rather get a return than owe though. One year when I was single I owed $8 in taxes. That was about as close to exact as you can get. With our fat return I hope to remodel our bathroom. We are in the process of getting bids and deciding what to do. I just hope we can get it done before Squeak arrives.
What do you plan to do with your tax return (if you are so lucky)?
3 comments:
It's not your fault you got a fat refund. The suggested withholdings are so off it's simply ridiculous. We got burned the other way our first year of marriage.
We were married, with no dependents filing jointly so we claimed that and despite the fact that we had some pretty good deductions, we still ended up paying in close to 2K. That sucks!
Congrats on getting your taxes done. Have fun with the new bathroom!
We are in your procrastinator boat. At least we finished earlier than last year -- who knew the nanny tax would be so confusing. We were right there with the Wallravens. Govt has issues with DINKs (duel income no kids).
I try to get a refund of between $0-1000 every year, but it's impossible to project. For us, so much changes every year that God only knows how many exemptions we should take! As such, we will get greater than a $10,000 return this year (fed and st)! When my tax accountant told us, I pounded her desk with my fist in a fun show of frustration. She laughed and said she could tell I was in finance, because most people would be happy with that! We have already spent our refund - on an exciting 2008 contribution to our Roth IRAs!
Post a Comment