We are going to start remodeling our master bathroom this week. This is something that we have been toying with and talking about for years. Our bathroom appears to be in pretty much original 1971 condition. The carpet is actually "newer" but ick - carpet in a bathroom is pretty disgusting.
We will be tiling the floor, taking out the existing cabinets and counter and replacing with a furniture style vanity, getting rid of wallpaper and painting the walls and then replacing all fixtures, mirrors, lights, etc. We will also be redoing the dressing room and turning it into my craft room.
The thing that really has always bugged us about our bathroom is the fact that the master bathroom is the only one (of 3) that is accessible for guests without going through a bedroom. It is the first door you reach when coming down the hall. That is just a little odd. We originally thought we would gut the entire bath and dressing room and move all the plumbing to create a 1/2 bath off the hall and a full bath off our bedroom. Well, the price tag for that was prohibitive so now we are just going to seriously face lift what we have without moving the plumbing.
So here is where I need your help. We do have the option of removing the door from the hallway to the bathroom and making that a wall. This would make our master bath more like a master bath. Right now there are two doors that open into the bathroom and it makes for quite a crowded room, especially if we are both in there at the same time. The downside is that now when guests are over they would either go through our master bedroom to get to our bathroom or they would go to the bathroom in the office. The office is not our cleanest room but we could work on that.
So, what is your opinion? Many of you have been to our house and so you know the layout and where these bathrooms are. Is it too weird or awkward to walk through a bedroom to get to a bathroom? Should we leave it with a door to the hall or should we close it off. I would really appreciate your input and your comments. I have to decide this week as they will be starting soon!
7 comments:
If I was in your shoes and I decided to wall off the bathroom door, it would be because I got tired of sharing my personal "toidy" with the rest of the world. So since it would basically be a privacy issue, I definitely wouldn't do all that work just to have the world walking through my bedroom.
So I guess my vote is IF you decide to wall it off, then you have guests use the other bathroom.
(Whether or not you wall off the door in the hallway is another issue altogether and I don't think either decision would be a bad one.)
I would close it off. You LIVE in the house, so you deserve a master bathroom all to yourself. Guests can go to a bathroom in another room. The master bedroom suite should be a private retreat that you do not share with the rest of the world. My opinion.
Let us know what you do!
I agree that closing off your master bath seems like the most logical b/c it is your bathroom. I'm impressed you keep it as clean as you do!
One option, if this would be possible and not a lot of money, might be to put in a pocket door (sliding door) in the hallway so that there aren't so many doors opening and closing.
Definitely keep us updated on how the progress is coming!
I vote wall it off.
My personal "preference" if i were you would be to wall it off, but I wonder if that would hurt re-sale value if others didn't like the idea of guests being limited to the bathroom that's tucked away by your office. ?? Does Bryan have an opinion on that sort of thing? Decisions, decisions!
I understand your desire for privacy. Using the bathroom off of your office ought not be a huge problem. It doesn't seem to be any farther to have to get to. I have a friend who has a bathroom off of her laundry room that I use because it is more convienent then walking down her hall to the "guest/kids" bath. Whatever you and Sam decide will be great! We can't wait to see it when it is finished.
Hmmm...if I was you, I'd sell your house and move out to California!
Post a Comment