Monday, January 19, 2009

Time to eat

Well, it is time to start feeding Caroline solid foods. She is 6 months old now. I really do not enjoy the process of teaching her to eat. It was not a fun process with Katherine. I know I have to do it because I can't breastfeed her forever. It is just takes so much more time and effort at our already crazy dinner time to feed her.

With Katherine I intended to make my own baby food but I lost my steam and ended up buying a lot of jarred food. I really want to try to do better with making my own baby food for Caroline. It is cheaper and tastes better. Madi came over and we spent a morning puree-ing vegetables. Katherine enjoyed helping by filling ice cube trays Every time we have fed Caroline she reminds us that she helped make Caroline's baby food.
We filled ice cube trays of pureed sweet potato, butternut squash, broccoli, green beans, peas, and carrots. One shelf of our freezer is full of the colorful food cubes.

Saturday was the day I had decided to start feeding her. We ended up at Nana and Pop's house because we had not seen them all week. They enjoyed being a part of the occasion. Caroline sat on the table, playing with her silver cup and silver spoon, while we ate dinner. She won't always eat from such finery but it is a great photo prop.
The first bite was received pretty well.
She actually wanted more.
Hey, this isn't so bad.
Let me chew on that cup again mom.
I can't say she loves eating her sweet potatoes but she does ok. Of course a lot of it get spit back out and in all she only eats a few spoonfuls but she is learning.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

What a cutie! Great job and oh so healthy!!! I have to say I am not looking forward to all that again.

Rich and Jen said...

Cuteness! I'm glad the little Bumbo tray is coming in handy.