
I love shopping at consignment sales and thrift stores for my kids clothes and toys. I have saved our family hundreds if not thousands of dollars and I have some very well dressed kids. I love handmade toys. There are some adorable items on etsy. We received some really fun and creative handmade toys for Christmas.
I have read a number of blogs lately that have mentioned the H.R. 4040, the Consumer Protection Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) signed into law August 14, 2008 and going into effect on February 10, 2009. If you have not heard about this, it is a law that requires that all items intended to be used by children under the age of 12 be tested for lead and phthalates prior to being sold. Sounds like a good idea since those are things that we don't want our kids to be exposed to, but the testing is so expensive that it will force many business to shut down, businesses like consignment and resale shops, stores on etsy which sell handmade toys, and boutiques that sell kids clothes. Many of the items that my family uses will no longer be legally sold.
There are many articles in newspapers and on blogs that discuss this issue (see below). It is a law that appears to have been passed hastily without considering how it would actually play out. On February 10 massive amounts of untested inventory could be headed to landfills and many businesses will have to shut down. Many of these businesses sell items that have no threat of containing lead or phthalates but because they cannot afford the testing they will not be allowed to sell their goods.
I just went to this link to send a letter to my Senator and Congressmen about this issue. It is already written out and I just added to it. Take a moment to read about this issue and voice your concern.
What can you do?
1) Email or call the CPSIA - the office of the CPSC 888-531-9070
http://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/newleg.aspx
Comments on Component Parts Testing accepted through January 30, 2009.
mailto:Sec102ComponentPartsTesting@cpsc.gov.
2) Email or snail mail your representatives.
http://capwiz.com/americanapparel/issues/alert/?alertid=12274476
3) Call your representatives. For their contact information just enter your zip code.
http://capwiz.com/americanapparel/dbq/officials/
4) Make your voice heard by voting on this issue. The top 3 in each category will be presented to President-elect Obama.
http://www.change.org/ideas/view/save_handmade_toys_from_the_cpsia
5) Sign the petition.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/economicimpactsofCPSIA/index.html
6) Spread the word! Write about this on your blog. Tell others about this issue and encourage them to do the same.
7) Join others in fighting this cause.
Facebook group
Twitter search
http://cpsia-central.ning.com/notes/Notes_Home
Articles and blogs
I Heart Handmade
Press coverage
Mom4life
6 comments:
And many, MANY cloth diapers.
:(
This makes me so mad I could just scream.
I wonder how much money Baby Gap and Mattel lobbied to get this complete worthless law passed.
You can't sell used toys?!?...what is this, Russia?!?!
And to pass this law during a recession...shame on them.
What makes me so mad is that is how illogical it is. I mean, assuming that my kids toys are dangerous, how is this helping protect him??? Hello!
Thanks for the info
I thought of cloth diapers this morning when changing Caroline. I guess I am glad I already have the full stash I need but worry about the WAHMs.
This seriously makes me want to puke.
Thanks for doing the research on this Christy. I just wanted to let you know that I tried to use several of the links and they came up with errors...
Sorry about that Amy. I copied from another blog and did not check them all out. Hopefully you were able to at least send a letter to your representatives. That one works fine.
Post a Comment