Friday, January 9, 2009
Child Labor
So, Pops, how much do you want to pay your almost 3 year old granddaughter for working for you this afternoon?
I work part time for my dad. Very part time. Actually I figured out that I probably work 60 hours a year doing one specific quarterly billing task. I am not exactly contributing the bread and butter of our family budget but it helps to have a little extra fun money.
Today I was trying to finish my job of stuffing the bills, letters and a newsletter into the client envelopes while Katherine was napping and Caroline was sitting in my lap. Caroline kept spitting up but luckily none of it got on any of the bills. :)
Katherine woke up before I was done and wanted to "help". I actually thought she could help by putting the newsletter into each envelope. She thought it was neat that she was working for Pops and that his picture was on each of these newsletters.
I have worked for my dad for as long as I can remember. I was the best paid kindergartner in my class stuffing envelopes and putting on stamps and mailing labels. In high school I called clients and earned money for my first car. About every third summer I decided I needed money and would work at his office doing various jobs. I worked part time when pregnant with Katherine and I have stayed on the books with this one small, but very important task.
Right now all four members of my family of origin work for the family business in some way, even my brother who lives out of state. It is kind of fun. At times I wish I really enjoyed the financial industry because it would have been a better business move financially to work full time for my dad and have clients of my own to have been a teacher. I am sure that my girls will work for Pops in some way just as I did. It is kind of a fun thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment