We started out pretty late because my Rip Van Winkle baby decided to sleep until 10:15. If only my early to rise toddler were on the same schedule. I actually gave Katherine the choice of shopping or staying home. I did not have to run these errands and so if she was not going to be in the mood for a successful trip I would have rather stayed home. She was excited to go run errands. First stop, CVS. I had a $5 off $15 purchase that expired today and I can always use some diapers. Katherine behaved, Caroline happy, move on to the next stop, Office Depot. We bought paper and labels for Christmas card letters and a few Christmas gifts. Next stop Bed Bath and Beyond with Best Buy next door, a double whammy. Would we make it. Yes! We bought presents for 4 more people! Katherine did a great job of staying by me.
The surprise of the day though was when we went to Best Buy and I noticed something in our stroller that did not belong to us. It was a stuffed frog key chain that Katherine had played with at Bed Bath and Beyond. Uh Oh - our first shoplifting experience. We talked about how we could not have it because we did not pay for it and that we would have to take it back. She was sad that she could not have it but did not cry or throw a fit. We went back to Bed Bath and Beyond and put it back. I was going to make her apologize but the cashier was busy and she was already sorry. I did not have my camera, only my phone so the picture of her hugging the frog is not that great.
I tried to make this a teachable moment. It is a good lesson to learn. I am sure all kids have taken something from a store at some point. I remember for me it was gum or candy. At her age she was not intentionally stealing and we were able to discuss it.We finished our shopping day with a successful trip to Kohl's where I found a "K" ornament I had been searching for and last the Chick-Fil-A drive through. She would have loved to have gone in but we needed to get home for a nap. I was very proud of how the kids did. They far exceeded my expectations.
No comments:
Post a Comment