Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas comes early

Being the second child, and second girl at that, I am having a hard time coming up with what I should buy for a 5 month old for their first Christmas. There is absolutely nothing that she needs. We are covered with clothes and if it was a toy that Katherine survived without, then I am sure Caroline can too. Plus, she is young enough that she has no clue that Christmas is coming. So, we decided that we would give Caroline Katherine's old toys that she has not played with yet. They have been in storage so even Katherine does not realize that they were hers. Since most of what I am giving Katherine has come from consignment and thrift stores it is really not too different except they are second hand from her own sister. I did also buy a few new books and a cute matching outfit too.

Well, I decided to go ahead and give Caroline her two big Santa gifts this week. She has hit a stage where she is more interested in her surroundings and the toys around her. She is grabbing at things. She is able to support herself well when in a seat. So, I decided to pull them out early. Since she has no concept of the fact that Christmas is still 10 days away I thought there was no reason to wait. First I put this contraption over her. I am not sure what you would call it but it tilts at this angle for kids who are lying on the floor and then you can tilt it up for when they are sitting. When I put it on the floor she gave me the biggest smile ever. I think she actually said, "Thank you mommy!"

Then we pulled out the exersaucer. I am so glad we brought that out 2 weeks early. She loves it. Her feet barely touch the floor so she is not able to turn herself around but she plays for about 10 minutes at a time with whatever is in front of her. Katherine loves to play with her while she is in it too.



Katherine has also enjoyed the exersaucer. Luckily she is still within the weight limit but she gets stuck trying to get out because she is so long.

3 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

she's such a beautiful baby. the 2nd pic is my fav.

chrys

Gladice said...

The Leap Frog Activity center was a life saver for us. It's great because it grows with the kid. Justin and I still laugh at one another sometimes when we say "koneecheewah! is the way to say hello."

Lindsay said...

I am having the same problem with AJC - no presents! I do want him to have some to "open" on Christmas, just as an example to JTC. I wouldn't want JTC to get all of the presents that day!

So far, I've gotten him some new pacifiers. That he probably won't like. And, um, that's it! I may look for a new HABA snake toy - JTC loved his.

AJC is also loving the Exersaucer (we have the same one) and his Rainforest Jumperoo. He was so excited that I put batteries in it the other day. Woo! Lights and music!