Monday, November 10, 2008

School dilema

We have been on the waiting list for a certain Mothers Day Out in our area since October 2006. It is not that it is competitive like you hear of schools in New York or LA but no one ever leaves. They give first dibs to church members and siblings of current students and there are few spots left after that. It has been very frustrating as that is supposed to be the best program in our area and for Katherine to have gotten a spot, I would have had to registered her before she was born due to when registration happens!

So, in the past 2 years we have attended 2 other MDO programs and have been very happy. Still, I remained on the waiting list. It is one of the few programs that calls their older twos preschool and has a structured curriculum at Katherine's age.

Well, 2 weeks ago I finally got a call that a spot was open and we were next in line. So, I snatched it up. Katherine and I went up to the new school to fill out the registration forms and see her new class. Then I went home and stressed and did not feel at peace about moving her. We love where she is now. She has adjusted well, made friends and has two great teachers. Her class only has 8 kids and 2 teachers whereas the new one would have 14 kids and 2 teachers. I just was not sure how she would do with another big adjustment.

So, even though it is THE place to go in our area, I called back and told them that we wanted to stay on the waiting list next year but be skipped for now. They were so nice about it and agreed that it was probably the best for her to stay where she is. They can't guarantee that we will get a place for the next year because of the sibling and church member preference but we probably will. In the meantime, I plan to spend a day at each place in their three year old class to see which one not only has the "best" curricula but to see which one Katherine would fit into the best.

Why do I stress about this so much? It is preschool, not college.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Because you're the Mommy, and it's your job. I imagine Katherine will have a lot to say about the college decision... =)