Wednesday, November 19, 2008

4 months

Caroline, I cannot believe you are 4 months old today. How time flies. You are such a cutie and such a joy for the entire family.
You are a very happy baby. You are usually content to sit and watch the world whether it is outside in your bouncy seat, in the den on your playmat, in the kitchen in your high chair or from your car seat where ever I have taken you. You love to be held too but you don't really care if it is mommy, daddy, Katherine, another relative, a friend or even Santa!You give us many smiles. Katherine loves to make you smile and will announce "mommy, baby sister smiling at me. It's so cute." We agree. You love to smile at her and though it will be a long time before you actually play together, we can tell that you already enjoy interacting. She loves to play with you and she makes you smile faster than anyone else. You are also making all sorts of fun noises. You have a cute little cooing noise, a sound that is a "gggaa" from the back of your throat and my favorite, what I call the teradactyl, which is a shrieking happy noise. You are not laughing yet but I know it will come soon. Physically you continue to grow, develop and acquire new skills. You are able to reach out and grab things whether it is a toy dangling above your head or one on the table. You also love to grab mommy's hair when I am nursing and you got a fist full of Santa's beard the other night. You like to hold things, especially when falling asleep. I hand you a small rattle or if that is not around you grab your pacifier. You have even been able to put it back into your mouth a time or two.
You have found your feet as well. You like to grab your toes, especially when you are having your diaper changed. You have not figured out yet that they taste so yummy but I am sure you will start putting your feet in your mouth before long. You have pretty good head and trunk control. You hold yourself up pretty well in someone's lap, when propped up on the couch or in your bumbo seat. You can even support your own weight standing when I hold on to your hands. You are no longer a floppy newborn.
You are not a fan of tummy time though you are getting better at it. I find it hard to remember to put you on your tummy because we are on the go so much. When we are at home usually either you or your sister are asleep. I don't really want to do something that makes you cry while she is napping so you don't wake her up. I can tell though that most of your time in on your back because you have a bald spot on the back of your head and a ring around your head where the hair is thin.

You are on the verge of rolling around. Tonight at Bible study I put you on your tummy with Annelise (who loves tummy time). I was just commenting that Katherine started to roll at exactly 4 months but you had not. As if to prove me wrong you rolled from your tummy to your back at almost that exact time . I knew you could do it, it is just a matter of figuring out how to move one arm out of the way. I am sure by next week you will have mastered the skill. I am not sure that I am looking forward to that as I really enjoy putting you somewhere and knowing you will not move.
You are a great sleeper and for this I am thankful. You sleep 10-12 hours at night without waking up most nights. You take 2-3 naps a day varying in length between 30 minutes and 2 hours. I am not really sure exactly how long because I don't keep track and I am not one to have a strict schedule. You are pretty good about falling asleep anywhere (crib, pack and play, car seat, floor, swing, bed, etc.). You like to have your pacifier to fall asleep but you are not dependent on it.

You are a baby on the go. I have a calendar on the wall of your nursery. Each day I write down what we did that day. Rare is the day that it is blank.

Outtakes from our monthly chair photo shoot.
First we have the "playing with dress" photo.
Then is the "deer in the headlights" shot. Last is the "uh-oh, Caroline is falling over" photo.

1 comment:

Sara said...

She is a cutie! I love her dress.