Saturday, November 8, 2008

Pumpkin Chicken Enchiladas

Our friends Jen and Roger just had their third baby last week. He was a whopping 9lb, 11oz. We took them dinner on Sunday when they got home from the hospital. Several of their family members have to eat a gluten free diet so I looked to find yummy, gluten-free recipes to prepare. I found a blog that Jen actually uses that had a recipe for Pumpkin Chicken Enchiladas. Because I love all things pumpkin I had to try it and made it for our family as well.

It was a very unique recipe but all of us loved it. I thought I would share it as it was easy as well.

PUMPKIN CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
8 corn tortillas
a few tablespoons of cilantro (we actually did not have any on hand and it was fine without)
1 pound cooked, shredded chicken
1 can of Rotel with green chilis
6 oz. white sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I could not find this so we used Quesadilla cheese)

Sauce
1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz)
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1 jalapeno (I forgot to buy, but don't like stuff too spicy anyway)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock or water.

DIRECTIONS: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. In a blender, puree pumpkin, jalapeno, chicken stock, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper. Place 1 cup of this sauce in the bottom of an 8 inch glass casserole dish. In a bowl, combine shredded chicken with green chilis, cilantro, and/or scallions and season with salt and pepper. Place some of the chicken mixture on each tortilla and then lay the tortilla seam side down in the casserole dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Top with cheese. However, if you are casein-free, this recipe is fine without cheese. Martha recommends placing your casserole dish on a baking sheet in the oven to prevent any spills. Bake for 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

this looks awesome! thanks for posting.

Sara said...

Yum! I will have to try this sometime.

Regina said...

I made this for lunch today and it was fantastic! Thanks for posting. I'm always looking for gluten free recipes.