Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Warning for all mommas

Do NOT use one of these seats when in a public restroom! Today when I was at the mall, Katherine and I went to the restroom. Lately she has been so curious and trying to touch everything in the stall while I am doing my business. It is so gross Well, today the restroom had one of these child seats. I put her on the seat and stretched the harness over her head to buckle between her legs. When I pressed the buckle into the seat, the seat collapsed and she fell to the ground with the strap over her head and thus around her neck.

Luckily in our case this occurred when I was strapping her in and not when I was taking care of business so she was not left to dangle for even a second. Also, since she is older, her feet actually touched the ground though she did lose her balance. If it was a smaller child who would not reach the ground or if the mother was in the middle of other restroom activities and not right there it could have been a lot worse.

Katherine just had a red mark on her neck for about 10 minutes. Another lady in the restroom said that the same thing happened to a friend of hers a few weeks ago. I saw mall security and told her about it and that it needed to be removed. Then we joined Janna, Robert and Laurie Jane for lunch and playing. Katherine retold them the story of "neck, hurt, fall, baby seat" over and over again.

When I got home, I did check the website to make sure that the problem was not that Katherine was too heavy. It says that a properly installed seat holds up to 150 pounds. Katherine weighs only 22 pounds so we should have been safe.

Be warned mammas!

7 comments:

The Fanks said...

That's horrible.

MrsJennaHatfield said...

And that's why I babywear in public restrooms. General ick and scariness removed. Biggest worry is peeing on a strap. ;)

Holly Ramsey said...

Oh my gosh - how freaky. I haven't used one of those before, but I definitely will not now!

Chrys and Mike said...

That is crazy! So scary. Did you let the company know what happened??

Chrys

Christy@pipandsqueak said...

Response and follow up to comments:
-Jenna - I also babywear at times but we actually went to the bathroom so that Katherine could use the potty, I had not brought in my carrier and thought I would give this a try. Next time, she goes into the carrier or stays outside with my friend.

-Chrys - I filled out the form for the Consumer Product Safety Commission tonight and plan to call the company tomorrow as their only online form is for sales.

Jaime and Will said...

How scary! I've never used one of those before either. They've always looked a little flimsy to me, but I'm sure I would have tried it eventually.

MacFadyen Clan said...

It's interesting that you just posted about this. i have never even seen one before...until this past weekend. We were driving back from San Antonio and stopped for lunch. I had just changed baby price's diaper and saw the little chair, so i thought i would put him in there so i could use the restroom ("what a great idea"...was my self-talk). HOWEVER, the strap was broken so i couldn't use it. good thing it was broken,since price is so little he could have really been hurt. thanks for the warning!