- Why do drive up ATM machines have the directions in braille? I hope that someone that needs braille would not be driving a car.
- In looking for Birthday party stuff, I am so frustrated with the commercialism of "character" themes. I did not want Barbie, Bratz, Care Bears, Elmo or any other liscensed product. Not easy to find so I made my own invitations and bought paper goods at Target in the grown up party section.
- In looking for Barbie items for my niece's birthday I notice that there are very few Barbies or outfits that I would consider appropriate. I was not allowed to play with Barbies as a child and have not decided what we will allow for Katherine but why does Barbie have to dress so inappropriately?
- In a similar way, have you all seen some of the clothes that they sell for toddlers? I was in JC Penney and Dillards last week. Not really places that I would think of to get "mature" clothes for my toddler. There were shirts that looked like they were from the junior department - low cut, babydoll waist, silky material. The picture I found online below is not that bad but still, very grown up looking. And there were shoes, in Katherine's size, that had a 2 inch heel! I am not very good at walking in 2 inch heels can you imagine a two year old walking in them?

How in the world will I combat the clothing issue when they sell these type of things for toddlers and when the toys they want to play with do not dress appropriately either? I do not look forward to the time when Katherine starts wanting to choose her clothes. Right now it is easy to dress her as a little girl because I buy her clothes. Each morning I pick out two choices for her so she thinks the is choosing her clothes but in reality I am still choosing them.
4 comments:
Christy,
Have you seen the "Only Hearts Club" dolls at Target? Your niece has some now and they are pretty sweet and innocent. Target doesn't have much of a selection of clothes but I just checked their website and they do.
Dolls and clothes
It used to be in the olden days that the way a child dressed told the rest of the world that they are still a child. Those lines are blury now.
We also bought plain-jane paper goods and balloons for Silas' birthday. The balloons were a lot of fun.
I feel like I'm pretty liberal when it comes to clothes styles (for both me and for Bree) but even I feel like I've seen stuff in the stores that's "over the top" for little girls (and not appropriate).
Helene got some "Only Hearts Club" stuff for her birthday. She loves the furniture and accessories, but isn't crazy about the dolls. I think she's already been brainwashed by Barbie and Disney Princesses.
Post a Comment