Today is Sam's 34th birthday. We discussed that birthdays are no longer as much fun as they used to be. The reason - you still have adult responsibilities of work, cooking dinner, changing diapers and taking care of sick kids. Add that to the fact that the gifts are not as exciting and you are no longer able to have your party at places like Chuck E Cheese or Pump It Up and it is just kind of a downer.
Today was especially low for Sam. It started when Katherine woke up at 6:15. He is taking morning duty as we are finishing off weaning. As soon as he went in to get her she wanted to eat so there was no chance of getting her back to sleep. Since she has been a little sick we decided that only one of us should go to church and the other stay with her. He chose to stay with her for some quality father daughter time. Usually a good choice, today bad move. Katherine was still having some stomach issues and was a bit fussy.
We were going to meet my parents for lunch and to see the train display at the mall. Sam had a hard time getting out of the house and by the time he got to the mall, Katherine had fallen asleep in the car so he decided to go home. Usually she transfers pretty easily to her crib but not today. After a lot of crying and clinging to mom and dad I finally got a 30 minute nap out of her. Not enough sleep! So she was cranky all day.
Our evening plans included having Jen, Richard and their 1 year old Evie as well as Gary, Alysha and their 2 boys Caleb and Ethan over. Katherine was so fussy (read hysterically crying) and we were having such a hard time getting dinner ready that I thought about calling to cancel. I am so glad we did not. The evening with close friends was what salvaged Sam's birthday. Both of these families are some of our closest friends and they understand things like fussy kids, dinner that runs late and a less (much less) than perfect house. Luckily, once Katherine had her friends over her attitude changed and she was a pretty good girl.
After everyone left and Katherine was in bed, Sam was able to open presents. Like I mentioned, a 34 year old does not get the best presents. He received a rain check for brown dress shoes, a casual shirt, an electric tooth brush, king size pillow cases for his funky chiropractic pillow, 2 CD's, Godiva coffee (a perk of after Christmas sales), and a BBQ wireless thermometer. I think he ended up doing just fine.
Another perk of his 34th birthday. It is the eve of his last day working at his current company. He has had the last week off for the holidays and he has the next two weeks off before he starts his new job. We are enjoying time with the family, completing projects and getting things done.
Happy Birthday Honey! I love you!
2 comments:
It's funny the contrast: I didn't feel like Katherine was all that fussy, dinner was perfect, your house looked just fine to me, the fellowship was great! Thanks so much for having us over! Happy Birthday, Sam. :O)
Happy Birthday Sam!!! Thanks Christy for a very yummy dinner and delicious dessert. I can't wait to make the pie. I promise I'll share it with others. We had a great time! I love that we are all parents and so understand what it is like to live life daily with little ones around that need a lot of our attention. It was lots of fun.
Post a Comment