Yesterday was our 5th anniversary. We decided to fore go the traditional 5th anniversary gift of wood and decided instead to get away for a night - our first night away from Katherine. We went to the Adolphus hotel where we spent our wedding night. It is a beautiful, historic hotel downtown.
Our dinner was fabulous. They serve either a three or a five course meal. We chose the three course meal. It really was a 6 course meal though with all of the in between steps. Before our appetizer they brought out a teeny, tiny, demi tasse cup of soup. I think they said it was asparagus soup with shrimp and a coffee froth on top. It was yummy. I had a crab cake for an appetizer and Sam had smoked salmon. Most of the time crab cakes have a lot of bread crumbs and are fried. This one was almost all crab and had a lobster cream sauce over it. After the appetizer they brought out sorbet to cleanse our palate. Fancy!
For our main course Sam had a Chilean sea bass with squash risotto and I had a fillet with goat cheese manicotti and vegetable tart. When I took my first bite of steak, the sounds that I involuntarily made let Sam know that it was incredible. It was the best steak I had ever had. It was a choice of meat, cooked perfectly and it had an incredible sauce on it. My sides were great as well.
For dessert we both had the white chocolate bread pudding with vanilla pecan ice cream. Yummy! After dessert they brought us our "pre-dessert". As one would expect it should have come before dessert but one of us was in the restroom and they did not want to delay our dessert or else the ice cream would have melted. As you can see, they even wrote "Happy Anniversary" in chocolate on our plate.
If you ever have an occasion for a really nice meal, the French Room would be a great place. They really treat you first class. Every single person that worked there was fabulous. The busboy that switched out my forks was even able to explain what they were all used for when I was curious about the new forks and knives he gave me (they were specifically for the crab cakes). As a special treat I had contacted the lady who make our wedding cake and had her make a small cake for us. I did not know that we were going to have dessert so we waited to eat it until today. It was just as yummy as 5 years ago.
This morning we were able to sleep in until 9:30 when we woke up on our own. Since Katherine has been here, we have not had a day where we were both able to sleep in. It was wonderful. We ate breakfast in our room before running a few last holiday errands and picking Katherine up at Nana's. She did great spending the night and had a fun time with Nana, Pops and Jack (the dog).
The past 5 years have flown by and have been wonderful. I can't wait to see what the next 5 hold for us.
1 comment:
For our fifth anniversary we went to the Olive Garden with the Rawls. I'm glad ya'll got to have such a celebration! If the French Room is booked, we highly recommend the O.G.
Post a Comment