Sunday, April 5, 2009

What a chore

So I am thinking that Katherine needs to learn a little more responsibility around the house. She has such a sweet life. So often I am so tired that I just don't want to deal with nagging her or training her but I know that is the WRONG approach and just makes more work for me in the end. Of course I want her to be a responsible contributor to society and baby steps start now.

So, I am curious to all of you out there with kids. What kind of "chores" and responsibilities do you expect of your kids? Do you do any kind of chart or incentive to "motivate" them to do things?

I am thinking that we should currently expect her to put her dirty laundry in the hamper, clean up her toys, take her dishes to the sink when her meal is done and feed the dog (with our supervision). What else are 3 year olds doing out there?

7 comments:

MaineMomma said...

Our 2 and 3 yos puts their clothes in the hamper, pick up their toys, put their dishes in the sink, and help Daddy unload the dishwasher- their FAVORITE activity! The 3 yo also feeds the cat, puts her clean clothes in her dresser drawers (under supervision, and sometimes requiring a little straightening afterward) and has started to match socks when I'm folding laundry (right now she mostly just stuffs one sock in the other, but that doesn't bother me at all). They both love to help however they can, including dusting their bookshelf and play kitchen and helping move chairs and such out of the way when I vacuum.

MaineMomma said...

Oh, meant to add, I don't really offer any incentives- just thank yous, hugs and kisses. At this time they seem pretty satisfied with that! Of course, we have many conversations about taking care of our things and honoring God with the way we care for the blessings He has given to us...

ashley said...

Anna really likes feeding the dog and sometimes she'll bring her dishes to the sink. We haven't started a reward system yet because she does it already without needing one (but I'm sure we'll start something more consistent when she turns three) She'll help me put clothes in the washer and dryer and we've tried making the bed (but she's not there yet!) Good luck and let me know how things go - as always, we're right behind you so I'll be looking to you for advice in the future!

Beth said...

Well...Ava is 4 and a half....but she is required to pick up all her toys, dishes in the sink, put away her folded laundry, and wash put her bathroom sink every night. She loves all of these chores (minus the picking up her toys--she HATES that) and has given herself the tasks. She also LOVES to wash dishes and sort dirty laundry by color. She also likes to fold towels, but that is where the folding stops. She has absolutely no issue with telling me that I need to clean my chores...especially clean my bathroom. **SIGH**

ashley said...

Christy, we went to the Rudy's in Frisco - since we live in Carrollton, it wasn't that far. Yes, I wish there was a more local one - it's one of our FAVORITE places to eat!

Rich and Jen said...

Not 3 yet of course (but getting there fast!). Evie has shown an interest in sorting laundry and loading/unloading dishwasher, so she helps with that sometimes. She also helps pick up toys.

Anonymous said...

I was going to attempt a reward system for chores with Caedmon. However, I consulted some moms of older kids from my MOPS group and they both said that they tried with their 3 year olds and it didn't work. They told me they didn't attempt again until age 4. I've been having Caedmon help with some things but nothing consistent or reward based - putting silverware away, putting dirty clothes in laundry, picking up toys, etc. Granted, the ladies I talked to (and myself) are dealing with boys so girls may be more ready for that type of thing.