
This is the first year I have dyed Easter eggs with Katherine. It was a fun little craft to do after Caroline went to bed tonight. The Paas kit that I bought at the grocery store had 6 colors but since I boiled 12 eggs and 2 cracked I thought we would just stick with 3 colors. We used red, yellow and green. Being our first go at dying Easter eggs I bought the basic kit that just had dye and stickers. I did not want to mess with doing a wax resist, glitter or tie-dye. I also avoided any characters. She enjoyed it and tomorrow we will put the stickers on.

Now I have 3 cups of very potent dye. It is probably enough to dye at least 3 dozen more eggs if I wanted to. I thought there must be something cool to do with Easter egg dye so I went to google. "Leftover Easter egg dye" produced few usable results. I found out
what to do with the leftover dyed Easter eggs and how to save them. I found lists of
egg salad and
other egg recipes. I found a few crafts with the cracked, dyed shells. There were a number of links on how to dye Easter eggs
using natural dye. (I am granola in some things but would not go to the effort). The only thing I really found to do with the dye was to
dye wool yarn. If I had wool yarn or knew how to knit or crochet that might be tempting. Apparently egg dye only will dye animal fiber so it would not work to tie dye t-shirts made of cotton. Too bad, that would have been fun. I may still try it and see what happens.

So, I am curious if any of my friends have found other uses for leftover Easter egg dye. There must be something to do with the vibrant paint but since it is dye and not washable we may not be willing to take a chance.
No comments:
Post a Comment