Friday, April 3, 2009

Katherine's spiritual training

I am trying to be more intentional with Katherine as far as teaching spiritual things. She is such a sponge so I want to cram every Bible story, verse and song into her head but I want to balance that with making it fun and not something that she grows up to resent. I know of people who were required to learn Scripture to the point that they grew up resenting the Bible.

This month I have started a more consistent night time routine as far as what I read when I am the one who puts Katherine to bed. Before we were just reading any three books that Katherine chose. Now she gets to choose 2 books. Then we sing a few songs and I read a longer story from the Bible. It has been good and we both really enjoy it.

As before we also pray. 99% of the time I am the one that prays. Sometimes she will repeat after me but usually she does not want to pray. The funny thing is that she will tell me what to pray for and if I say "Amen" and have forgotten something, she will say, "mommy, you forgot to pray that my tummy feel better" and she will request that I do it and not her.

We are also working on Scripture memory and she has memorized her first verse. This is something that I have intended to do, have thought about, planned and then dropped the ball. Finally I copied some verses and put it in the car so that I remember to do it often. It took about 2 days for her to memorize her first verse.
Children obey your parents in the Lord for this is right. Ephesians 6:1




I thought it would be best to memorize a verse that she could understand and we could use in many teachable moments.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

LOVE the verse you chose to do first! Sooooo appropriate and might as well get that one understood!!!