Monday, October 13, 2008

Bonfire Memorial

Friday before we left College Station we went by the Bonfire Memorial. This is a memorial built in honor of the 12 students who were killed on November 18,1999.

Bonfire was a fun tradition at A&M and I have fond memories of attending each year. I hate that Bonfire no longer happens but I agree that it is too risky to continue if this kind of accident is possible.

The memorial is full of symbolism. History Walk portrays the 90 years of Bonfire preceding the 1999 collapse. The granite time line is comprised of 89 stones representing the years that Bonfire took place. They begin with 1909, the first year Bonfire was built on campus. The amber light and notch in each stone recalls the fire glow of Bonfire each November. A break in the time line in 1963 signifies the year John F. Kennedy was assassinated and the only year that Bonfire
did not burn. Three previous Bonfire-related deaths are remembered on the time line
in the years they occurred.Spirit Ring surrounds the site of the 1999 Bonfire. The twelve portals are oriented toward the hometowns of those who perished in the collapse. Each portal contained a "picture" in the bronze, a signature and a tribute full of quotes, poems, etc. It was interesting to see what all of the memorials contained. Twenty-seven stones with bronze inlays representing the injured students connect these portals to complete the circle.

In the center is a bronze plaque at the site of the center pole. It is inscribed with the date of the collapse and tragedy. I dressed both girls in A&M outfits (which Sam loved!) We joke about me trying to brainwash the girls. Aggies are notorious for their enthusiasm (Sam may call it obnoxiousness). I consider myself committed Aggie but don't think of myself as being annoying like many I know. I will let my girls go to college wherever they want. I will just pay for A&M. Just joking. I did have a friend that had that stipulation from her dad though.
I wanted to take a picture of Katherine and Caroline by the Texas A&M University sign at the entrance of the campus but as you can see I have a very uncooperative 2 year old these days when it comes to pictures so we decided not to make that extra stop.

We ate lunch and headed home. Caroline slept the entire way home. Katherine slept none of the trip. She did not watch TV either but entertained herself other ways. Overall it was a great trip, especially considering the fact that Katherine did not take a nap for 3 days.

2 comments:

The Robertson Clan said...

I will remember the day it fell forever... I was a senior.

Cute pics. Hope One Dave Dave will let me brainwash, I mean take Lucas! ;) Hope I am not one of those annoying Aggies! haha!

Jaime and Will said...

I didn't know they had a memorial. It looks well done. I would love to see another game at Kyle field someday...