Monday, November 5, 2007

Saturday in Stockholm

Having only 2 days in Stockholm we wanted to pack it in and see it all. Well, it seems that there is a lot to do in Stockholm so that was not possible. Traveling with a toddler changes things. I think I need to write a whole post just on that topic.

We started off going to the Kulturehuset or Culture House. A friend said it was a hit with the kids. They have a great children's library with all kinds of fun things to do. It was good to let Katherine run around a little to burn off some energy. Her favorite was the swinging basket.
Next we walked to Gamla Stan or Old Town. This is the medieval area and also where the royal palace is located. There are 4 museums to see at the Royal Palace and we made two of them. We went into the Royal Apartments but we went in one at a time. Katherine decided to fall asleep for her nap right as we arrived so I stayed with her when Sam went in and then we switched. It was full of stairs and not stroller friendly.
We just so happened to be there for the changing of the guard. In the winter they have a full parade two days a week and we happened to see it. Pretty typical of a European royal changing of the guard.
We wandered around the Gamla Stan area and saw the smallest statue in Stockholm (of over 6000). I am not sure the attraction but it was mentioned in every guide book I looked at and there was a crowd of people looking at him (hence the feet). So, I took the photo.

You can see this area is quaint with narrow streets and cute buildings on the square.


The second museum we went to was the Royal Armory museum. It had some armory, clothes, carriages and all kinds of things related to the royal family. The best part was that there was a children's area. Katherine dressed up as a queen and sat on her throne.
Sam put on part of a suit of armor. He said it was quite heavy and could not imagine the entire suit or how you could fight while wearing it.
They had a play carriage and horses. The horses actually rocked which Katherine liked.
An last we colored a coat of arms. I did not know our family coat of arms was full of scribbles.

No comments: