Saturday, November 3, 2007

Earth friendly or death on wheels?

I thought the Smart car was about as small as it gets, but I've spotted a few more here in Oslo that are even smaller!!!

Parking, of course, is a nightmare in a big city. If you can find a spot, you can expect to pay. But parking is cheap compared to the cost of gas and the taxes on purchasing a car -- try 100%!!!


Whether it's due to the high cost of car ownership, lack of parking, or a concern for the environment; motorcycles, bicycles, and small cars are everywhere. I'm encouraged to see some smaller cars on the roads, but how small is too small? Would you be comfortable driving one of these cars?



I'm not sure who makes the 'Buddy', but it is even smaller than the Smart car. It also has that manly scooter sound!!



Advantages of a parking a very small car!!



Or just park it with the bikes!!!



I'm not sure about the brand on this one, but it's equally ugly.



The Ford 'Think' is not just extremely small, it's 100% electric and has an ABS plastic shell. A dull plastic finish is a stark visual contrast to most cars. And if you get a little dent on the front end, you can just push it back out from the drivers seat -- assuming you can still use your legs!!!





This has got to be the smallest 4 door car I've seen. I've certainly never seen a car with rear doors that stretch all the way back to the tail lights!!! You could probably have a rear passenger change out the light bulb while driving down the highway!!!




And finally, I have to show some pics of the SMART sports car. It's much better looking than the SMART car at the top of this post. I remember reading an article about this car being the first to have an entirely ABS plastic body, and I've seen a few will a dull black finish around the headlights and front fenders.




If it were cheaper, I might be tempted!!

(SAM)

2 comments:

Chrys and Mike said...

Interesting post. Smart cars have finally made it to the States and my husband keeps talking about getting one. It would be quite a contrast to our minivan in the driveway.

Chrys

Rich and Jen said...

Both frightening and funny! When Richard and I were at the B&N near Northpark, we could have used one of those vehicles. The parking spots there are ridiculously small!! I think the designer of that lot must have thought he was designing for Norway instead of the SUV/truck-land of Texas. :oP