We were in the hospital for less than 48 hours. I am not a fan of being a patient and having people coming in every few hours to wake me up and get my vitals when I am feeling pretty good. The recovery was so much easier with a VBAC than a c-section so I saw no need to stay.
Our plans almost changed though when Katherine had her bilirubin test. They scanned her forehead for color and it came up that her bilirubin level was at the 95% level. so, our pediatrician said she could not go home and had to spend the night under the billi blanket and light therapy. She also said that after every time she nursed I needed to follow it up with a bottle of formula. That was not exactly what this mom wanted to hear but I was willing to go with it to get her out as soon as I could.
We met with the lactation consultant to help with our nursing since eating is the best way to reduce her bilirubin level. Since Caroline came out so fast the amniotic fluid was not all squeezed out of her stomach. So, she was not eating well since her tummy was full and it would cause her to spit up the amniotic fluid.
About an hour or two later the nurse came back in and the blood test came back that Caroline was only in the 40% bilirubin level so the pediatrician said we could go home. So, we left the hospital at about 8:30 that night.
We dressed Caroline up in her cute outfit and took our photos putting her in the car. She is soooo tiny. We were not sure if we were going to be able to get the straps small enough. I remember the same thing with Katherine.
Our plans almost changed though when Katherine had her bilirubin test. They scanned her forehead for color and it came up that her bilirubin level was at the 95% level. so, our pediatrician said she could not go home and had to spend the night under the billi blanket and light therapy. She also said that after every time she nursed I needed to follow it up with a bottle of formula. That was not exactly what this mom wanted to hear but I was willing to go with it to get her out as soon as I could.
We met with the lactation consultant to help with our nursing since eating is the best way to reduce her bilirubin level. Since Caroline came out so fast the amniotic fluid was not all squeezed out of her stomach. So, she was not eating well since her tummy was full and it would cause her to spit up the amniotic fluid.
About an hour or two later the nurse came back in and the blood test came back that Caroline was only in the 40% bilirubin level so the pediatrician said we could go home. So, we left the hospital at about 8:30 that night.
We dressed Caroline up in her cute outfit and took our photos putting her in the car. She is soooo tiny. We were not sure if we were going to be able to get the straps small enough. I remember the same thing with Katherine.
We stopped to pick up dinner at Dickey's on the way home because we were starving. Luckily Caroline slept long enough to eat before wanting to eat herself and head to bed. She was such a sleepy head that we could not wake her up later to eat again so we decided to all sleep through the night. Hopefully that will continue!
3 comments:
I love it when they look so small in their car seats!
Welcome home! :) I'm glad things went so well! :)
(Though the doctor was wrong. Breast milk is a better laxative for bilirubin than formula. I love doctors who don't know their stuff.)
You are now officially a mommy of two: I can tell because you already called Caroline "Katherine." (in the paragraph talking about her bilirubin level) Hee hee...I'm sure it won't be the last time (and I would do the same thing!) :o) I'm glad her level dropped so you got to take her home; it's no fun going home without a baby!
Post a Comment