Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A new venture

A few weeks ago I found out about a community garden in our neighborhood. I went to the website and saw that there was a waiting list and it sounded like it was long. I went ahead and signed up thinking it would be a year or two before we got a plot. Then I went out there with my neighborhood women's club and thought it was really cool. Well, yesterday I found out that our number is up and we have a plot if we want it. So, I took Sam and the girls out there after dinner to look at it.

On the way we saw 2 peacocks, one is albino. How cool is that. Keep in mind that this is only a few miles from our home and fully in the city.

Apparently there were over 50 plots added this year. A few weekends ago people went to work and build up the beds. Everyone helped their neighbor. Apparently whoever had bed 71 did not show up and that was then given to us. Our bed has a pile of dirt and the boards are laying there but not set up. So, we are starting this thing from scratch.

There are 86 plots in the garden. They are either 8'X12" or 8'x24'. Some people have quite a set up with trellises, cages, chairs, decor and lots of plants growing.

I think that this could be a really cool thing. It is pretty cheap and will be fun. We may even get to eat our produce. The entire garden is organic and we can grow whatever we want. Each plot has its own water source and we can even use soaker hoses and timers.

I know nothing about gardening. I did not grow up planting things at all. I don't even know where to start. But, we went to the library tonight and I have a bunch of books. This year I am setting my expectations low and hoping that we have a great learning experience.

Katherine is always interested in our camera and took the picture of Daddy and Caroline.


3 comments:

Julia said...

Was one of your books from the library _Square Foot Gardening_? If you have an empty raised bed like that, that may be a good way to go. I have a copy if you want to borrow it. And if you go with his recipe for potting mix, I'll try to remember where I ended up finding vermiculite on our side of town...

JB and Cindy said...

I am jealous... I have really wanted to start a garden this year, but have absolutely NO idea how to. Maybe you can teach me a thing or two from all your education! Have fun.

Sundee said...

so cool and so fun!