Friday, October 30, 2009

Cold Turkey

Despite the appearance of this first picture, Katherine did not take a pacifier. She was much more interested in it once Caroline was into it. In face, Katherine did not take a pacifier or bottle, just mom.
With Caroline it was my goal for her to take both a bottle and a paci. Luckily she cooperated with both. We still did not use bottles often but it was nice that she would take them if I needed to leave her with someone else (most of the time).
I don't remember exactly when she started to take a paci, probably about 2-3 months.
From then on her paci was tethered to her by a clip almost all the time.
I remember we lost 2 pacis on the same weekend last December but since then we have managed to survive with only 2, the purple clip and the beaded clip. We would lose one for awhile but it would always show up again.

By the way, we loved the beaded clip(there are several designs). It was a Christmas present from Grammy. It was the only clip that would actually work.
Most of the time we did not clip the pacis on but it made it easier for her to manage and for us to find on the floor.
I have been wanting to get rid of the pacifier since her birthday but it seemed we were always sick or traveling or there was something going on that I thought she needed it. And, I just dreaded the process.
Recently though I noticed that she rarely fell asleep with the paci. I would put it in her crib and when she woke up and would cry, it would be with the paci in her mouth. So, it was doing little to pacify her.
And then in the daytime she would get tired of it and take it out of her mouth, walk to me and give it to me.
So, a week ago I decided to just stop giving it to her. It has been easy and really not an issue at all. We just went cold turkey. I did not make it something for just in the crib or just in the car. The only time I have let her have it was at Mother's Day Out because she does horribly there. But they said it did not help so we will probably not use it again.
I am so glad I went ahead and took that thing away before she was old enough to really protest. She has been fine without it and it is really just a germ magnet.

Bye Bye Paci!

1 comment:

Julia said...

That first picture of Katherine cracked me up because we have some like that of Grace. She too would have nothing to do with pacifiers when she was a baby but when we started packing up our house to move, we found the stash of them in a drawer somewhere and she then (at age 2) decided it was funny to put them in her mouth.