Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Day of School

Last week was full of back to school events. It is kind of funny that for preschool I would have something every day for a week. Monday was a room parent meeting. Of course I am the room mother for Katherine's class. Tuesday was a play date for the 3 year old classes. Wednesday there was a parent meeting. Thursday I had set up a play date for the girls in our class and then Friday was a play date for the 1 year old class. Whew! It was tiring but fun to meet some of the families at our new preschool.

Tuesday was "Meet the Teacher". Sam was going to work late because he was going to come home late so he was able to go with us. That was a lot of fun. We went to Katherine's class first. She immediately went to the beads and started playing. She talked to a few of the other girls but kept pretty busy.
Next we went to Caroline's class. Here she is with her teachers. The one on the right is Melissa who lives a few doors down from us. Her son takes care of Hooligan when we go out of town. I know Caroline will have a harder adjustment so it was reassuring to already know her teacher.
Caroline played in Katherine's room but somehow knew that we had moved to her room and she cried when we tried to put her down. Eventually she started playing.
When we got home, we practiced the new skills she would need for school. This year they moved the cribs out of the Toddler 1 room to make more room. So, the kids are sleeping in nap mats on little cots that are about 6 inches off the ground. Caroline was not sure what to think about her nap mat. They also eat sitting at a regular table and regular chairs, not high chairs and not a feeding table. The table and chairs are really low but I do not envy the teachers at nap and meal time when they are trying to keep 8 kids, ages 12-18 months where they are supposed to be.
Today was the first day of school. We had to take photos for our annual tradition. Aren't they so cute? I think both girls look so grown up.


Katherine got a new backpack that has the Disney Princesses on it of course. It is small enough for her to carry but large enough for her lunch box to fit. It also has wheels so she can pull it if she wants. I really needed her to carry some of her own stuff because I will be carrying Caroline, Caroline's bag and 2 nap mats.

We talked about school and what to expect of the routine. We reviewed the kids names in her class. We said a long prayer driving to school. I was amazed and we got there on time. In fact, both classrooms still had the doors shut with the teachers getting ready.
Katherine found her nap and put her things where they belonged.
Then she walked right in like she owned the place. I guess all of our play dates and meetings last week really payed of because she did not even look back. She went right to the table and started playing.
Here is her teacher Mrs. C. She is so sweet and will be a great teacher. There is also an assistant, Mrs. G.

I was really nervous about dropping Caroline off. She typically does not like to be left at Mother's Day Out or the church nursery. Amazingly, she did fine. I handed her to Melissa and walked out of sight. I snapped one quick photo of her (blurry). I hung around a little and peeked in through the hole in the closed door and she was fine.
We had great reports for the day. They said Caroline did great. She dropped her paci at one point and they put it away. She also took a one hour nap. I was surprised but I bet she was pretty tired.

Katherine had a great day. She said she played with all of her best friends - only the girls of course. The only name she can remember on her own is Phoebe who lives in our neighborhood. She said they played with the kitchen and building things. She said they went outside and saw baby Caroline out there and they played together too. Some of the boys were playing Batman and being rough so she told them to not be rough around her baby sister. Katherine did not take a nap. I would have been shocked if she had.

Katherine loved school and can't wait to go back. She loved having girls in her class to play with. Even though we really liked where we went to school last year, I think that this will be a good move for us.

No comments: