Sunday, August 9, 2009

Greatest Show on Earth

Last week we took Katherine to her first circus. We went with Regina, her brother Ash and her daughter Elizabeth. To prepare, we checked out some book from the library about the circus and even a Mr. Rogers DVD. The best resource to show Katherine what to expect was a 1980 and a 1990 Ringling Brothers souvenir program that I had kept and actually could find. I know, that is pretty sad that I had it and could find it.
Before the circus you can go down to the ring for a preshow. Katherine loved the dress up area where you could put on a sequined circus jacket and have your picture taken with a ring master.
We were also able to see and take a photo with a real circus clown.
They had clowns, acrobats, stilt walkers, goats and elephants for the preshow.
The elephant, Kellianne, did a painting. It looks a lot like Katherine's paintings.
Katherine and Elizabeth loved the show. It was a bit of a sensory overload but they did fine. Their favorites were the elephants. This circus was different than I remember. It did not really have 3 rings so there was only one thing going on at a time. There seemed to be more of a dance element as well. Maybe it is the difference of a child versus an adult perspective but it did not seem as amazing as I remember it.
Katherine again, decided not to be cooperative for the group photo. Here we are in front of all of the merchandise available to buy. I am proud to say we bought nothing.
Katherine had chosen that day as a day to skip her nap. I tried for 2 hours to get her to sleep but she would not. She did amazingly well but fell asleep on the way to the car while daddy was carrying her.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I think I would actually like the "one ring" circus better. It always irritated me with the 3 rings bc I felt like I had to look around like crazy or I'd miss things or people would oooh and ahh at one ring while I was of course looking at another ring so I'd know I'd missed something good. Cute pic of K asleep on Daddy.