Today Katherine and a friend sat at her table to draw. I noticed that Elizabeth had a very colorful page. Katherine had a lot of lines. As I looked closer, I realized that they were letters. I asked her what she was writing and she said her name. At that point, she had only had a few letters and they were letters in her name. Tonight when I went to show Sam the difference in the girls' pictures, I noticed that not only did she write a few of the letters of her name, but she wrote almost her entire name - backwards. She is only missing the "i". She asked me one time what another letter in her name was but she did this on her own.
I have not worked on writing with Katherine much at all so this really surprised me. Every once in awhile I will ask her to write a "K" and she always tells me that she can't. This summer at school they have started writing letters and they always hold her hand to write her name. I was not sure that this was really a good practice but I guess she has learned the letters of her name. I asked her tonight how to spell her name and she said, "kathine". She did point out yesterday that no one else's name is as long as hers. Poor girl has 9 letters.

1 comment:
That's awesome! Sure you want to switch schools!?
Post a Comment