Thursday, March 18, 2010

St Patrick's Day

St. Patrick's Day is not one that I usually spend a lot of time celebrating but it is funny how having preschoolers gives you occasion to make a bigger deal out of everything. We started the day with a breakfast of Lucky Charms. I bought a small box as a part of a variety pack and I am glad I did. Katherine loved the marshmallows and not the cereal. My kids are not really into cereal at all.
We made rainbow cupcakes that I saw in Family Fun. You added food coloring to white cake batter and then layered it. It was not hard but very time consuming.
Katherine enjoyed mixing the colors and we learned about which primary colors make each of the secondary colors.
I was not a perfectionist about getting the layers even and smooth.
The final result. I guess that it shows that I was not a perfectionist with the layers but I did not hear any complaints from the preschoolers.
Unfortunately, Katherine did not actually get to eat one on St. Patrick's Day because she lost that privilege. So, we ate cupcakes today for breakfast - after eating a full serving of eggs and English muffin.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I love the Lucky Charms idea! I never let my kids have sugar cereals like that, but St. Patrick's Day would be a great excuse to bend the rules once a year. And I think your cupcakes turned out well. Campbell and I made a rainbow cake together when he was younger. Those layers are not easy.