Thursday, March 25, 2010

First day of spring?!?!

This has been the craziest winter as far as weather goes. We usually don't get snow or if we do it does not stick. This year we have had snow 4 times and it has been deep enough to play in 3 of those times. The crazy thing about this 4th snow storm is that it was on the 1st day of spring and it was about 70 degrees both the day before and the day after.

After church we went to a large park with a big hill so we could go sledding and really plan in the snow. As soon as we got out of the car, Katherine ran to lay down and make a snow angel.
During the last storm, my parents gave me my childhood sled. We were the only people at the hill with a sled with runners. It actually worked the best, especially since there was a lot of steering involved to avoid the trees.
Katherine loved it and wanted to go over and over. Now for all of you northerners, don't make fun of our snow storm. i know that there are large patches of grass but this was still a big deal for us and our sledding worked just fine.
Also, don't laugh at my hat. I actually could not find mine so while getting the kids bundled up I put on Caroline's hat. It was not until we were there for 20 minutes that I realized how silly I mush look with a toddler hat on. Don't worry, she had a hood with fur trim but I still took it off and put it on her.

Caroline has enjoyed the snow more each time but she was not sure what to think about sledding.

Daddy got his chance too. He and Katherine had a harder time since he is heavier than I am and the snow was not that deep.
You can see here the trees at the bottom of the hill.
Next we enjoyed making snowballs. Katherine thinks it is a lot of fun to thrown them but does not like it when they are thrown at her.



Katherine wanted to go down the long hill but it was not really steep enough. I got a good jog by pulling her in the sled down the hill.


Then I pulled both girls. The slope was very gentle so it was not easy.
On the way home Katherine asked, "Mommy is it Christmas?" I told her "no". She said, "But mommy, it is snowing so it must be Christmas!"
My kids will be so disappointed when next winter is back to normal and we have no snow. I am so glad we were able to enjoy it this year.

No comments: