Monday, August 18, 2008

Two kids - a new normal

Caroline is almost a month old. This month has been great. She is really a pretty easy baby. I also think that it is easier the second time around. As a second time mom I do not stress about as many things as I did with Katherine.

Having two kids means that we are adjusting to a "new normal" around our house. I do not like to stay home and getting out is more challenging with two than with one. It has not stopped me, it is just more challenging. I felt bad last week when a car was waiting for my parking spot at the mall. I had my huge sit and stand double stroller loaded with both girls and all the gear needed for a day at the mall. I had the very closest parking spot and a minivan decided they wanted it when I left. It took me at least 5 minutes to unload everything and get everyone buckled in. I have not yet dared to take both kids on a grocery store run. That will be a challenge.

Katherine is having to adjust to a "new normal" as well. Katherine is doing a pretty good job adjusting to being a big sister. Every morning when she wakes up the first thing she says is, "Where is my baby sister?" We always take her into our bedroom where Caroline is sleeping in our bed so that she can see her baby sister. You can see that this often causes problems as she wants to touch Caroline and often wakes her up in the morning.
She always wants to help out. Her job is to hand me a wipe and a clean diaper when it is time for a diaper change. She has also decided that it is up to her to make sure Caroline has a blanket and toys at all times as well as a pacifier in her mouth. It is really sweet but as you can imagine Katherine's help is not always welcomed by Caroline.
Overall Katherine has done really well but there have been plenty of challenging situations as well. She is used to having all of my attention and now my attention is divided. That is hard for a two year old to understand. Nap time and bedtime are always difficult as well. We are having more potty accidents but so far it has not seemed intentional on her part. I think it is more due to the fact that I am not reminding her or taking her to the bathroom as often because my attention is divided.

I love having sisters. Katherine tells Caroline over and over that she loves her very, very much. She tells me all the time about all of the things that she is going to teach Caroline to do when she gets bigger. She asks me if she used to do the same things that Caroline did when she was a baby. It is so fun to see her loving and enjoying her baby sister so much.

The "new normal" may be challenging and frustrating at times but it is so worth it.

This post is a part of a group writing project at Mamablogga. Check it out to join in if you like.

3 comments:

Jordan McCollum said...

We're making the same adjustment--and I'm so happy to say it's been a lot easier than I"d feared!

I'm glad it's going well for you, too. Congratulations on your new addition!

charrette said...

Ah...they look so sweet together! There is nothing better to adjust to than a newborn!

Ursula said...

Such sweet photos! My son sees babies and I keep asking if he'd like one, and he emphatically says "YES!"

Here's hoping I have to make that adjustment in the future!

Your daughters are gorgeous!
(here by way of GWP)